Wednesday, June 7, 2017

I left it all on the field: Zero Regrets


You will never find me challenging the young adults on the basketball court.

I'm not joining the adult soccer league. For the love of God, my nineteen-year-old DAUGHTER plays in that league.

My friend used to play in the old-timers hockey league, up in North Dakota.
A lot of my friends compete in masters competition for judo.

Good for all of them but it's never happening for me.

Occasionally, my children, or other young people want me to go out and run with them, go a round of randori or some other stupid idea for when you are my age.

Forget all of that age is just a number nonsense.

This week, I was running around an obstacle course with my two youngest daughters, about whom it can be said that I am literally old enough to be their mother.


The next morning, Ronda called me and said,

Mom, are you okay? Do you need any ice or aspirin? Does anything hurt?

I told her I was fine, thank you, and I hurt when I wake up every day, but


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's what I do with my nine-working arthritic fingers - I make video games that teach math, social studies, English (and soon, Spanish). Get yourself some!




-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

it hasn't stopped me yet.

There are people who play technical judo and maybe they are out there competing when they are 60 years old, and, again, good for them.

If you ever read my book, (shock! you didn't? it's called Winning on the Ground) you'll know that the judo I do is a lot more physical. Years ago, when CBS sports asked Willy Cahill who to film, he said,

If you want judo that looks like ballet, get Robin Chapman (now Robin Chow). If you want judo that looks like a fight in a bar, watch AnnMaria.

So, now, I'm paying for it.

I don't feel sorry for myself, ever, but I'm not stupid, either.  Those years of two, three times a day practices, competing without weight divisions, despite injuries, took their toll. There is a reason you don't see a lot of former professional or Olympic athletes competing in the senior games.

Several years ago, I was at a judo clinic and a little kid asked 1987 World Judo Champion, Mike Swain,

How many times did you beat Koga?

And Mike had the best answer,

Only one. The time that mattered.

So, yeah, I don't feel bad about having arthritis, a knee replacement and a thumb reconstruction. I don't care about all the tendons, ligaments or cartilage that I'm missing. It was worth the price.

But don't ask me to run in your 10 K.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you'd like to know what I am up to at work, home and traveling around the country, subscribe to  our 7GenGames TV Youtube Channel


No comments: