Tuesday, November 22, 2016

The meaning of life, oysters and alcohol

I've been working crazy hours for so long, sometimes I forget what year it is. It's been good, but busy. Business is growing.

You can read more about 7 Generation Games and our excitement here.
http://www.7generationgames.com/2016/11/21/you-think-you-know-what-steam-is-but-you-dont/





That's not what I wanted to talk about today. Rather, I wanted to discuss how to change your life when you feel that you are getting burnt out. This has something to do with judo but since it also has to do with advice about my daughter's fight coming up, ask me about that in January. (Cryptic, much?)

Many people feel as if the solution to burn out is to move to a tropical island, retire, take up knitting, have an affair with someone one-third their age or other dramatic flame out. Those things seldom turn out well.

I read a book on 100 things to do in your retirement and 96 of them sounded pretty lame to me. Teach a class - I already teach classes in judo, multivariate analysis and biostatistics - how is that retiring? Knit. Plant a garden. Take a painting class at the senior citizen's center.

 Write a book (done that)

https://www.amazon.com/Winning-Ground-Training-Techniques-Fighters-ebook/dp/B00BBZX5CS

 So, what is left? Actually, for those who don't have the time, money or inclination for an around the world cruise or becoming the oldest recruit in the Foreign Legion or bungee jumping, let me make a suggestion - modify your life in a moderate way.

For example, I decided I needed a new, fun goal and more time away from work. So, I decided to go on a quest to find the best oyster shooters in southern California. This combines three things I like - oysters, alcohol and going out with my husband. If bar-hopping was involved, I was willing to make the sacrifice for the benefit of research.

Day 1: Herringbone in Santa Monica. The oyster shooters are delicious and pretty cheap ($4). The service is slow.

Also day 1 : Casa Martin, also in Santa Monica - alas, no oysters of any type but they did have margaritas which were okay, and tortilla soup was good. There was also a table next to us with four guys from Australia who drank more beer per person than I had ever seen consumed at one sitting.

Day 2:  Blue Plate Oysterette, Ocean Ave, still in Santa Monica. I've walked by this place for years and they were always too packed for me to wait. Amazingly, today, they weren't full. The oysters are excellent but the restaurant only has a beer and wine license so no oyster shooters for me.

Also day 2: Water Grill - also on Ocean Ave in Santa Monica. The drinks were excellent an so were the oysters. Sadly, while one can get both oysters and alcohol at Water Grill, the combination of the two was not on offer.

So far, I have learned
... you can't trust the internet as to what restaurants serve oyster shooters,
... a good restaurant to go to if you have a cold and want soup,
.... Australians can put away the beer,
.... and, most importantly, not everything has a serious purpose.

(P.S., No one pays me diddly squat for mentioning them on my blog. Some have considered bribing me NOT to mention them.)
 ----
Don't be too serious. Download Making Camp on your iPad for free. Learn and play. It's all good.
https://search.itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZContentLink.woa/wa/link?mt=8&path=apps%2fmakingcampfree


1 comment:

Ardebaren said...

I think "you can't trust the internet" would have sufficed to be honest :p I like having a drink myself, my poison of choice is dark rum and/or white Russians, white Russians are really nice and I totally recommend it if you haven't tried it before - so much so I'm even going to give you the recipe for it.

60ml vodka
2 tbsp KahlĂșa
1 tbsp cream
Ice Cubes

Enjoy

On the part about being burnt out and your daughter's upcoming fight - this may be touching on personal grounds and it's likely a very obvious thing.

What happened to her when she fought Holly Holm will still be on her mind, that much is obvious. If she's still emotional about that, she shouldn't push herself too hard because fixing emotional scars is arguably the hardest thing to do, there is no magic wand for it and no amount of pats on the back or people telling you it's going to be ok will fix that.

I haven't been through anything remotely similar to what she's been through when it comes to career pressure but I do know emotion and the sort of thoughts that plague you when you're at your lowest. I've been that way for close to 15 years now and it's a very long, lonely, dark, rocky road to try and rectify the issues that lead you down that road.